The sport of roller derby has a history rooted in American culture that dates back to the 1930’s. If you can imagine a heap of folks on wheels rolling around a track amidst the great depression and among the dust bowls, it’s not too hard to imagine what present day roller derby has become.
Modern roller derby is far more sophisticated, widespread and competitive than it used to be and derby girls have taken it to a whole new level. The roller derby community recently began requesting funds for a kick starter project to create a roller derby board game..Now that’s serious.
Being a roller derby girl comes with many advantages but nothing in life is free. To say the least, it is worth exchanging every drop of sweat and road rash for a tight knit community that will keep you in shape and on your toes (no pun intended).
Let’s put the rubber to the track and outline a day in the life of a roller derby girl but first, get to know the famous Ann Calvello, a roller derby hero that traveled the world with her skates. This hot tempered roller derby role model is not for every chick to look up to but if you search her name, you are bound to discover that this sport will toughen you up, perhaps break your nose 12 times like it did for her and create a stronger you.
The ideal day in the life of a roller derby girl starts with a Do It Yourself Attitude. Roller derby bouts are organized by skaters, for skaters. It sound cliché, but it’s true.
Securing a spot on your derby squad may be the easiest part of roller derby and you will put in hard work on and off the rink. Members organize derby committees for fund raising efforts to help pay for referees, rink locations and additional costs.
Prepare for big time commitments and plan your schedule to make time for practice.
Express yourself, be yourself and have fun
- What’s better than using your imagination to create your own funky outfit and roller derby name. Roller derby is a new dimension of fashion and if you like to get funky with fabric, you’ve come to the right sport.
- Most girls represent their femininity through the outfits they wear and their costumes take on the looks of rockabilly and burlesque fashion.
Wear what’s importan
- Who said mouth guards aren’t sexy? Buy one and boil it down to custom fit and put it in to protect your fierce derby grin.
- Helmet, wristgaurds, elbow and knee pads and mouthguards are mandatory.
- Here is a list of additional protection we highly suggest to wear: Ankle support, Shin gaurds, tailbone protectors, turtle shell bras, padded shorts and shin gaurds.
Strip away the pom pom’s and replace the skirts with high socks, fish nets and leather pants. Who said girls can’t “Go-fight-win” on their own turf called a roller rink?