Welcome to the third post in our series about integrating your smartphone with roller skating. We previously learned about the great apps out there for both Android devices and the iphone (iOS). These apps are made essentially for everyone on roller skates and we recommend that you get your thumbs on one asap.
But what about the apps that target a certain user such as a roller derby referee? Whether you are a roller derby official an active member in your derby community, it will be worth your time to download and spread the word about the following apps.
Roller Derby Penalty Timer is the best mobile app created specifically for roller derby officials.
This is a hefty claim stated by roller derby nation straight from the Android App Store and we believe its’ backed by user reviews and an easy to navigate interface.
This penalty tracker provides a reliable way to track penalties with built-in-knowledge of the WFTDA rules to help you manage any jammer situation that gets thrown your way. This app makes it easy for just one person to manage the full penalty box.
- Manage any configuration you’d like: two blockers, two jammers, four blockers, or even the full penalty box!
- Stop all timers simultaneously between jams.
- Tap-edit allows you to quickly edit a time or add a minute for a double-penalty.
- Paid Version contains NO Ads. Plus it helps support further development!
Roller Skate Nation rating and feedback: 5/5 stars. A must have app for anyone on a derby team! It’s developed by the renowned roller derby nation and is frequently updated to keep up with the fast pace sport.
The major downfall is that this app is only for Android devices. Don’t worry, keep reading!
iOS Penalty Timer
This one is for the derby referees with an iphone. It costs $1.99 but is the first mobile app created for roller derby officials. It’s now used all over the world and comes in the following languages:
English, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
The app is customizable and includes all of the features from above. It can be used on any iOS device and is optimized for retina display!
- Keep track of all timing related tasks needed in a roller derby game.
- Built-in support for WFTDA and RDCL game configurations.
- Add custom game configurations (scrimmage or tournaments).
- Large buttons, conveniently operated with one hand.
- Vibrate warnings for specific events.
Roller Skate Nation rating and feedback: 5/5 stars. These two apps go together like bread and butter. For just $4 you get two killer apps that make it easier to ref bouts and save you time.
Pitch your clipboard and consolidate your messy stack of paper work with the StatTrack App.
Grab this app on your iOS device if you want to start tracking flat-track roller derby penalties at lightning speed. This app is made by derby refs, for derby refs.
It’s packed with many features (we hope so for $4.99) and here are our favorites:
- Share all penalty tracking information via email or Dropbox. Even export as a CVS file to share with your league.
- You can enter all of your skaters into StatTrack and refer to them at anytime during your bouts. Just search for their name and/or number.
Roller Skate Nation rating and feedback: 4.3/5 stars. It’s so easy a kid could use it. The intuitive interface lets you spend more time tracking and less time tapping.
There’s got to be more apps out there for us roller derby fans. Did we forget to mention any? Let us know in the comments below.