The Best iphone Apps Every Roller Skater Should Download
iphones, smartphones, cell phones…whatever you call the device you spend half your day staring at. Let’s learn how to use them for roller skating. This is the first post in a soon to come blog series to teach you how to use your smartphone in order to optimize and enhance your roller skating and/or inline skating experience. The apps below are supported for iphone users. Stay tuned if you own an android device!
We presume and hope you own a smart device before proceeding with the post. If you don’t, feel free to continue and sharpen up your geeky side right alongside the amazing sport of roller skating.
Whether you are just starting to roller skate and could benefit from simple how to video tutorials while you’re out and about or if you prefer to dive into some awesome data about your average speed and trails you travel, these apps are for you. (ps, click on the icon to view app in app store)
How-To Roller Skate Apps for iOS
How does turning your iphone into a personal coach in your pocket sound? We hope you’re as excited as us.
Get high quality video lessons to perfect your balance and enhance your confidence. For $4.99 you get an app packed full of a variety of skate tutorials to help you learn about stance, turning, braking and more.
Here’s a breakdown of the best features of this app:
- Videos are high quality retina displayed and follow a series of steps taught by qualified skaters
- Use it on the go. All of the videos and instructional content is on the app. You can use it when your off the beaten path when you cannot secure a wi-fi signal.
- The content is broken down into two stages: stage one focuses on turning and braking and you can enter stage two at any time. Stage two reveals roller skating tips and tricks for accelerating and safety.
Roller Skate Nation rating and feedback: 3.8/5 stars. Although the app is packed full of professional tips, we think $4.99 is a bit much.
The Roll IN Line is just $2.99 and comes with over 30 high definition videos with slow motion, multiple angles and detailed instruction. Here’s what separates this app from the rest:
- Video lesson are divided into categories to save you time
- The categories are forward movements, types of turns, backward movements, 180 degree turns, braking methods, etc.
- All of the video lessons are kept on your mobile device and don’t require an internet connection.
Roller Skate Nation rating and feedback: 4.3/5 stars. You can’t beat the price tag of $2.99 for a personal coach in your pocket. The app plays video in great quality and has an easy to use interface.
Track Danger Zones and Potholes With The Fill That Hole App
You’ve never wanted to photograph a pothole until now. It’s time to do less complaining and more fixing!
Aggregate Industries teamed up with the National Cycling Charity to bring you an app to keep you safe from possible street dangers. Although it was originally created for cyclists, roller skaters find it very useful.
By using the iPhone’s built-in camera and GPS locator, together with the large display screen, you can now report potholes and other road defects right from the roadside. Working with the Fill That Hole website, the iPhone locates where you are on a map, looks up the address and allows you to add details if needed. You can then add a photo and upload the report to the website there and then.
Roller Skate Nation rating and feedback: 4.5/5 stars. Who doesn’t want to stand up against potholes? Better yet, this app is free. So download and start capturing those holes!
Show Off Your Roller Skating Stats With iOS App That Gives You Feedback
The iSkate – GPS skating computer for inline and roller skates is a must have if you want to dig into your data and join a community of avid roller skaters. This app brings together the best of GPS tracking, data refinement and social media all on your screen. It also comes with a map of amazing skate trails in your area and the developers are active to keep it up-to-date.
- Accurate values for current speed, average speed, maximum speed, total distance, trip distance, current altitude, climbed altitude, burned calories as well as trip time. Units can be set to US or metric.
- Watch yourself automatically move on the map and zoom in on your trail
- Prove it! Post your recordings to Facebook and Twitter
- Suspend, pause and resume for trips allows you to receive calls or take a break
Roller Skate Nation rating and feedback: 4.6/5. We’ve come to the conclusion that the major pitfalls of this app are that continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life and the $9.99 price tag. On the flip side, it’s a one time purchase that you will probably use every time you skate and you will definitely love researching your skate data, aka skata.
What’s your favorite iphone app for inline and roller skating? Stay tuned for part II of “Use Your Smartphone To Get The Most Out Of Roller Skating” where we will cover the Android market.
In the meantime, head over to Roller Skate Nation’s brand new website. It’s even smartphone friendly.